Moving Out of Your Home
When you're ready to move, the first task is to take an objective look at your belongings. Do you really want to move those puzzles that are missing pieces? What about your children's college notes and items they've asked you to keep for them? Cans of food are perfect for the food pantry. Just remember, whatever you keep you have to pay to move.
Once you’ve decided what you can part with, decide whether you will donate, sell, or toss before the move. Paxem can help you through this process.
- Make sure that you’ve been to your local post office to fill out the change-of-address cards.
- Contact your local insurance agent to transfer property, fire, auto, and medical insurance. Do not cancel your policy until after you’ve changed possession of your home. It would also be a very good idea to check your homeowner’s insurance policy regarding damage of property during your move. Peril code 1 is a more comprehensive coverage and Peril code 6 is the standard coverage. If you aren’t sure how you are covered contact your insurance representative. The movers typically do not cover complete replacement of broken/damaged items.
- Make sure that your utilities (electric, gas, phone, cable, etc.) are disconnected from your present home after your scheduled move out.
- Call ahead to have utilities connected at your new home the day before your expected arrival.
- Dispose of all flammables such as paint, poisons, cleaning fluids, etc. Drain all the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower, power tools, etc. for safe transportation. These hazardous items must be brought to a recycling center.
- Empty, defrost, and clean your refrigerator 24 hours before moving. Keep the doors open so that it dries out.
- Call your Paxem representative to pack all of your belongings. These items will be labeled and an inventory sheet will be provided.
- Prepare your trip kit for moving day. These are the things that you will need during the trip (keys, medications, important papers, etc.)and the items that will make your life easier once you get to your new home. You will also want to keep the jewelry and heirlooms with you at all times.
- Make sure that you are available when the movers arrive or your designated Paxem representative has the floor plan.
- Write directions to your new home and provide all necessary phone numbers to the movers and to Paxem.
- When the movers arrive accompany the driver while he/she does the walk-thru of your home.
- It is your responsibility to make sure all of your goods are loaded, so remain on the premises until all of your belongings are on the truck.
- All items needed to clean your new home should be loaded on the truck last.
Paxem can assist you with all of the tasks listed above.